Tuesday, August 4, 2009

preparation + opportunity = luck

I am about to embark on the speediest graphic novel revision of my life, to incorporate my critique group's fantastic feedback from my last revision.

I felt I had plenty of time to work on this revision because my critique group wasn't getting together until August 17th. But then I decided to go to the LA SCBWI Conference in hope of finding an agent for the graphic novel two weeks before the conference. And if that didn't require a marathon of maneuvering, I also got a job.

While I was watching Battlestar Galactica, with no travel plans or gainful employment, I should have been revising so as to be ready for anything, in this case, the conference. A friend asked, "Are you going to have your manuscript ready to hand off in case anyone asks for it?" And because I'd been watching Battlestar Galactica, I said, "Frack!" I'd forgotten about that part.

So it's time for a little quote from Seneca: LUCK IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY.

I've got the opportunity, now I need to prepare for luck.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and love then name!
    My new puppy is a chihuahua mix and I adore him. So that means I now love anything with the word chihuahua (or dachshund since that's what my first dog is).
    Anyways, great site! Can't wait to see future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just had a quote from Seneca handy did you? What are you a trivia buff or something? Have a blast at the conference, look forward to hearing all about it!

    : )

    ReplyDelete