Tuesday, February 10, 2009

sketchbook: birdnose wrasse

The birdnose wrasse is my favorite tropical fish. They seem very curious, poking their noses into coils of coral, and rocky crevasses. If a population of females lack a male, one female will morph into a male so they can do what they're supposed to do: make more birdnose wrasses.

I include this sketch in my blog to demonstrate what it is to study something closely, and take time to observe its many minute features. With mounting pressure, I draw to produce, neglecting to make time for discovery. An iridescent scale, a budding leaf, an unfound door, of a scale, a leaf, a door. And all the forgotten places*. The curious part of myself seems to have been shelved somewhere. I'm off to go look for it.

* Thomas Wolfe, from Look Homeward, Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment